Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Staycations

"Staycation" A noun. Created in the early 2000's. Similar to a vacation, except the activities are done close to home. Or in the backyard. Or on the couch. ~LaVerne's Kinda Informal Dictionary

I like this new word that the media created not long after the financial crisis hit. It says that we can take time off, and we don't have to hassle with packing or airline security or finding a place for the pet. Don't misunderstand. I cherish my time out of town. I work from home, so if I don't get out of town regularly, I have a bit of an emotional meltdown. Just ask my husband!

But there are times when getting the heck out of town doesn't work. Like last summer, when my husband was in school and keeping up with his Dad's care, and I was knee deep in a major project for a client. We weren't going anywhere. But we could plan regular staycations.

Make a list of all the things you usually do on vacation. Go out to eat. Play miniature golf. Or 18-holes of golf. Swim. Read a popular fiction novel. Watch a marathon of a favorite TV show. Go to the movies. Whatever.

Now plan to do all these things. Maybe in one week (now there's some serious down time!), or a long weekend. Maybe one activity a week for a couple of months.

It is summertime, and staycations may include the family, but not necessarily. Fall is coming. The kids are going back to school. While you're planning for the family's Fall schedule, don't forget you. Plan regular staycations for yourself. You'll have something to look forward to all the time. And that can really lift your spirits when the caregiving gets rough.

Staycation! It's a word whose time has come.

Blessings on your caregiving--and your staycations!

No comments:

Post a Comment